999 Fond du Lac St
Mt. Calvary, WI 53057
Contact the Clerk
for an Appointment
1st Wednesday - 6:30PM
Village of Mt Calvary, Wisconsin
Mt Calvary Bulletin BoardNOTICE: The fire hydrants in the village will be flushed on Thursday, October 22nd beginning at 8:00 a.m.
Mt. Calvary Tick or Treating is scheduled on Saturday, October 31st from 2-4pm.
With the rise in Covid-19 cases throughout the state and NE WI, we want trick or treating kids, their families, and residents helping make the day fun to all stay safe and healthy. Here are some guidelines from the Fond du Lac County Health Department: https://www.fdlco.wi.gov/home/showdocument?id=24357
If you do not feel safe handing out/putting out treats, or as a trick or treater going out in the community, then please refrain from participating.
Fall Clean Up Hours - Every Saturday in October & November from 9am-3pm for Village of Mt. Calvary residents ONLY. (updated 9/22/2020). After Nov 28th, the site will be closed until spring.
Fall 2020 Compost Site Open Hours:
Claudy Lift Station Project - Work will be done in the next two months to replace the Claudy Lift station of our sewer system, which is located on the bottom of the hill when heading south on Cty Rd W, at the village limits. The current equipment there has been in place since the sewer sytem was installed in the 1970's. It has served the village well, but has outlived it's life and needs to be replaced. This project with cost the village approimately $300,000 to complete this upgrade. The work is scheduled to be completed by 11/20/2020.
The Village board has approved a road reconstruction project for Dix Street. This project will see some engineering work such as drill soil sampling, and plan development done beginning in mid-August into the next few months. The actual street reconstruction project will not take place until spring of 2021.
New On the Website - We have added ordinances for the Village of Mt. Calvary to the Ordinances page of the site. We have 3 ordinances that were inacted in the past year. They are:
~ Sex Offender Residency - Adopted 5/6/2020
~ All-Terrain and Utility Terrain Vehicle Route Ordinance - Adopted 9/4/2019
~ Appointment of Treasurer - Adopted 7/10/2019
Mt. Calvary Residents: Please flush only toilet paper down the toilet into our sewer system. Please DISPOSE IN THE GARBAGE any wipes that say flushable, paper towel, disinfecting wipes, etc. These items do not break down in the sewer system , even though they may say flushable, and are plugging pipes in cities. Issues caused by flushing items other than toilet paper, can cost our village (and you the tax payers) lots of money, and we don’t want this to happen!
History of Mount Calvary, Wisconsin
Mount Calvary was originally part of the Town of Marshfield, the area known as “The Holy Land”, which boasts of scenic areas, open spaces, and an abundance of natural resources.
The Holy Land area was first settled in 1841. Mount Calvary emerged in the Holy Land when Mount Calvary's location was chosen by missionary Casper Rehrl. Rehrl selected the large hill because of its excellent view and he placed a wood cross. Starting in 1846, settlers started building houses at the base of the hill. Rehrl held the community's first mass circa 1849 at the home of John Dietzen. Bishop John Henni confirmed the first child from Mount Calvary at the St. John the Baptist Church in nearby Johnsburg (it was the only church in the region). A parish was established in Mount Calvary by Rehrl on February 2, 1849. Construction of the church began the following day. A school was established by the church and it quickly had five or six students.
The community's first general store was built in 1851-1852. Two priests arrived on October 15th, 1856 to establish a monastery, which later became St. Lawrence Seminary High School. A post office was built in November 1877, for which Anthony Rothgery was named the first postmaster. A railroad was established in the 1850's and 1860's. It connected Sheboygan to Fond du lac. Trains ran twice daily through nearby Calvary Station.
By 1900, the town of Marshfield area had reached a population of 1,992. That included the Villages of St. Cloud and Mt. Calvary. In 1909, the Village of St. Cloud was incorporated. In 1962, the Village of Mt. Calvary incorporated, with a village population of 942 residents. As of the census of 2010, there were 762 people, 201 households, and 151 families residing in the village.